Lyon County Middle School
Reasonable care and neatness in regard to dress and appearance are required of all students. The following regulations are based on common sense and decency. Dress Code violators will report to the office. If arrangements are not able to be made, then the student may report to ISR.
1. All students are to wear shoes at all times.
2. Skirts/dresses should be no shorter than 2 ½ inches above the top of the knee cap. Slits should not be above the 2 ½ inch above the knee threshold.
3. Pants will be worn at the waist and underclothing, including shorts/boxers, must be covered. Any slits, tears, holes, or cuts (that reveal skin or undergarments) must be no higher than 2 ½ inches above the knee.
4. Leggings or Jeggings are not to be worn in lieu of pants. Leggings or spandex type clothing, must be covered with shorts, shirt, or skirt. The shorts, shirt, or skirt covering the leggings or spandex type clothing must be at least as long as your longest finger when your arms are placed at your side in a relaxed position. The covering clothing must be at fingertip length in both the front and rear.
5. Shorts should be no shorter than 2 ½ inches above the top of the knee cap.
6. No skorts, unless they meet the same requirements as regular skirts.
7. No Head apparel (hats, do-rags, curlers, bandannas, picks, combs, rakes, etc.), unless approved by the principal during special events or circumstances.
8. Tank tops, sleeveless shirts, strapless tops, spaghetti straps, midriff shirts, off-the shoulder
shirts, or other clothing that reveals any cleavage or the stomach/back are not allowed. This includes sheer tops.
9 All shirts or tops must be long enough to cover the midsection when both hands are raised above the head.
10. Clothing or other items that display any kind of liquor or illicit drug advertisement, sexual
suggestion, vulgar language, violence, racism, tobacco, or anything than can be construed as vulgar, obscene, crude or inappropriate, will not be allowed.
11. Pajamas or pajama style clothing, unless approved by the principal during special events or
circumstances, should not be worn.
12. Body piercing is limited to the ears only, and not excessive, to avoid drawing undo attention away from the education environment.
13. Good hygiene must be kept at all times to avoid becoming offensive to others.
14. Mohawks and the shaving of numbers, names, etc. in the hair are not acceptable.
15. Since the student handbook cannot make provisions for the continuing changing of fads in dress, jewelry, and general appearance, administration reserves the right to decide what is acceptable and appropriate for items that are not addressed in the handbook.