NEW IMMUNIZATION REQUIREMENTS FOR 2018-2019 SCHOOL YEAR AFFECTING ALL STUDENTS
A recent amendment to Kentucky State Law regarding required student immunizations will go into effect for the 2018-2019 school year. The following changes will impact every student attending Lyon County Schools.
1. ALL students in grades K-12 must have two doses of the Hepatitis A vaccine. Hepatitis A vaccine is a series of two shots, and these injections must be given six months apart. In order for the two shot series to be completed by August 2018, the first shot should be given in January or February. Many health care providers and the local health department have been administering the Hepatitis A vaccines for the past several years, so your student may be compliant with the new regulation. Check with your student’s immunization provider.
2. In order to attend school, students age 16 years or older must also show proof of having received two doses of Meningococcal ACWY vaccine (MenACWY). The first dose has been required for 6thgrade entry, and now, a booster is required at age 16.
3. All students must obtain a new immunization record that shows he/she has received all age-appropriate vaccines for school attendance. These updated records can be obtained from your child’s healthcare provider or health department.
Please contact your child’s school nurse with any questions.
Lyon County District Nurse – Elizabeth Pfeffer 270-388-9715 ext. 302
For a complete list of required student immunizations, please visit the Kentucky Department of Education Website.
In order to facilitate students receiving current immunizations for the SY 2018-2019 the Local Health Clinics for Pennyrile District Health Department will be hosting immunization days. On these days they will have additional staffing to ensure improved efficiencies in service for the students and parents coming in for their immunizations. These do not replace the existing hours our clinics are open and offer these standard services, these are to provide times that are hopefully more convenient for your families.
The following dates and times have been established for these additional clinic services:
- Caldwell County February 13th from 3-6pm
- Crittenden County February 26th and 28th from 3-6pm
- Lyon County February 19th from 3-6pm
- Trigg County February 21st and 22nd from 3-6pm